Who can apply?
To be eligible for the YGT programme, you must be:
- a student in the final year of a Master's degree at a university or equivalent institute, or have just graduated. You must have completed your Master's degree by the time you start to work at ESA
- a citizen of one of the following ESA Member States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Nationals from Latvia and Slovenia, as Associate Members, or Canada as a Cooperating State, can apply as well as those from Bulgaria, Cyprus, Lithuania and Slovakia as European Cooperating States.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. For this purpose, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics.
If you experience technical issues or have a disability and need special assistance, please contact us at .
March and May: pre-selection and interview of shortlisted candidates
June: final selection
September or October: start working at ESA, following mutual agreement on the actual starting date
Recruiting during COVID-19
The health and wellbeing of our colleagues is our utmost priority. ESA has taken a range of precautionary measures in order to minimise the spread of the virus while also ensuring business continuity within the organisation. Visit our page recruitment process during COVID-19 for up-to-date information.
What we offer
Inspiring space missions and a unique experience
As an ESA YGT, you will gain valuable on-the-job experience in the development and operation of space missions in a multi-cultural and friendly environment. This can be a launch pad to many exciting opportunities within Europe’s space sector.
Salary and benefits
Young Graduate Trainees benefit from
- a one-year contract (with possible extension for a second year) with 2.5 days paid leave per month.
- A salary of €2300 - €2700 per month (depending on location of the ESA establishment) exempt from national income tax in ESA Member States, as well as excellent employment conditions.
- Travel expenses reimbursed at the beginning and end of the contract.
- Expatriation allowance and/or installation allowance on arrival if you move from another country. Excess luggage costs are also reimbursed.
- Comprehensive health cover under ESA’s social security scheme. Please note that the traineeship period is not considered as service conferring entitlement to pension benefits under ESA’s pension schemes.